Thursday Ayurvedic Eats
About 2 weeks ago my friend Katerina who wrote about ‘Learning to Let Go‘ in a yesterday’s post and I decided to try to refuse sugar for a while. Everything that contained white sugar or other forms of concentrated sugar including agave and all kinds of syrups had to go. I kept fruit and stevia. Since sweet things is my weak spot, no raw desserts, no raw chocolate or macaroons was tough!!! But wherever there is a will, there is a way! After a week cravings subsided and taste buds became a lot more sensitive. Things that seemed pleasantly sweet before now seem too sweet. Green Giant smoothie from The Juice Press that has spinach, kale, coconut meat and water, spirulina, apple, lemon, cayenne and 1 date tasted too sweet to drink when I got it yesterday. I couldn’t believe my tongue!
One thing that seemed just right in term of sweetness, calories, and nutrients was an accidentally invented Chocolate Acai fruit salad with hemp seeds. That creamy deliciousness made my heart sing! Special ingredients in the sauce make this fruit salad into a nutrient dense powerhouse:
- It’s easy to make and easy to digest.
- It won’t spike up your blood sugar and there are no empty wasted calories.
- Each bite is loaded with flavor, vitamins, and minerals.
- It is an Omega 3, fiber, protein and antioxidant heaven:)
I can already see you getting impatient to see what’s in this magical recipe! We are almost there. Let me just tell you that you can have this dish for dessert or for breakfast and that it gets better after a few hours in the fridge when all the flavors absorb.
Fruit Salad With Chocolate Acai Sauce and Hemp Seeds
- 1 apple chopped
- 1 banana
- handful of blueberries
- 1 Packet of Unsweetened Acai puree. I used Sambazon Pure Acai
- 2 tbsp cacao powder or for an extra kick try Cococeps with Certified Organic Cocoa, Full-Spectrum Micronized Cordyceps & Reishi*
- 2 tbs hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne
- a few drops of stevia
- 1/3 cup water or almond milk (use more a less depending on the desired consistency)
Mix everything together and pour over fruits. Sprinkle with hemp seeds.
When making the sauce, remember that cardamom, cinnamon, and cayenne have a special sugar balancing and metabolism boosting role! So don’t skip them!
*Linda Wagner, a very inspiring and creative health coach wrote about using Cococeps when trying to kick the coffee habit. Read about it here
Sweet Hugs and Kisses!