A lot of people tell me that they are confused and overwhelmed when choosing the foods that are best for their body. They say that their body is unpredictable in its response to certain foods. Sometimes dairy feels ok and other times it causes fatigue and bloating, sometimes nuts feel grounding and nourishing and other times they sit in the stomach like a brick.
It may seem like there is no correlation or a way to predict your body’s reaction to food but if you look a little closer, you may notice certain trends.
Stress and Your Digestion
The more stressed, tired, under-slept, or anxious you are, the more foods will aggravate your digestive balance. On the other hand while rested, relaxed, and calm your stomach digests like a champ.
We rarely can control the circumstances or problems that come up at work, but we do have control over how we perceive things and how we nourish our body during stressful times.
As a general rule the more stressed you are, the gentler diet you should follow.
Often when the day gets super busy we end up eating without taking a break from all the ‘important’ tasks on hand. Whether we can’t get away from the computer while mindlessly picking at a salad, or quickly shove in a deli sandwich in between the meetings, eating in a rush all stressed out sucks! There is no way to eat mindfully while multitasking.
When eating in a rush we get the calories but no real nourishment that our body and soul need. The lack of nourishment can show up as cravings for sweet foods, lack of enthusiasm and motivation, and a general feeling of dissatisfaction. On a physical level, eating on the go has some detrimental health effects, as well. It adversely effects digestion since you might not have enough time to chew food. Having been swallowed without proper chewing, the food falls to the stomach as a heavy rock, making us feel bloated and tired in the afternoon.
If you are in a perpetual high-stress mode than try easy-to-digest liquid-based meals. Your goal should be to nourish your body without overtaxing it. It means having light foods full of easily available nutrients during high-stress times. Liquid-based foods provide an easier to access source of nutrition. Keep it light and nourishing.
Your biggest meal should be when you are less tired and not as busy.
Help your body to deal with stress by reducing energy-draining heavy foods. Your body will thank you!
Here are a few easy-to-digest foods that you can eat during stressful days:
Red lentil soup (green or brown lentil is a lot harder to digest)
- Vegetable curry
- Stewed fruit
- Rice pudding
- Spiced almond milk blended with dates and spices
- Steamed veggies
- Vegetable soups
- Room temperature smoothie without dairy or too many nuts
And some here are some foods to avoid because they are considered hard to digest according to ayurveda
- Dry nuts and crackers
- Heavy meat-based dishes
- Anything with cheese
- Anything cold, dry, or not freshly made
Can Your Body Benefit From Easy To Digest Meals?
One of the most reliable signs that you might benefit from a few days of easy to digest foods is a coated tongue. Ayurveda advises to look at the tongue first thing in the morning. The tongue is a detailed health map!
The same way as the face, the tongue changes colors/shades, shape, and surface texture providing a current health state update. Much like reflexology, all the organs and the entire body can be located on specific regions of the tongue. As a mirror of the body’s digestive system, the tongue can reflect what minerals and vitamins may be deficient and can reveal the health of other various organs in the body.
Some other things to look for:
Teeth imprints around the contour of the tongue – malabsoprion of nutrients. Your digestive system is not very happy. To stimulate digestion in a natural healthy way, add fresh ginger tea, avoid iced drinks and start paying attention to food combining. Here is an article on Ayurvedic Food Combining.
- Trembling tongue - a sign of anxiety or fear, possible Vata disturbance and high stress. We live in such a high stress society that anxiety can crawl over you without you even being aware of it. It might even be your permanent state and you are so used to it that can’t tell the difference. Forgot when was the last time you woke up rested and excited to start your day? Thought so! Time to take a break from caffeine, have some chamomile tea and nourish your nervous system with warm, easy to digest light soups and bean dishes.
- Thick grayish coating – Toxins in colon. Did you think about doing a detox but couldn’t think of a strong enough incentive. Welcome to the club! Knowing that your colon is full of material that doesn’t belong there, that spreads toxins into your blood, makes you sluggish, your skin greyish and your head foggy might be the push you were waiting for. Take a break from heavy, oily and processed foods. No need to fast if you are not ready for it but make it a vegetable or fruits day only. Choose foods that are easiest to digest. If you make is a vegetable day, go for steamed not raw, same with fruits, baked apples with cinnamon is my choice when I do one day food break. You won’t feel hungry or tired because apples provide plenty of natural sugars and fiber to keep you full and energized. Your body will feel so fresh and light the next day, you might want to make it a weekly treat. You take a break from work why not give your digestive system a break also?
Dr Lad advises to look at the tongue in the morning before brushing your teeth. He also strongly encourages the use of a tongue scraper on a daily basis. Why walk around with a ton of toxins if you can just scrape them off?!
Improve Your Digestion. You Don’t Have To Suffer!
If you feel like your body is in a less that thriving state of health, if you wish you had more energy, less cravings, and less bloating, and want more step by step guidance on how to help your body to get there, check out my new program Happy Sexy Belly.
This 6 weeks online video program will help you create your own Food Map with foods that your body thrives on and those that you need to stay away from. It will help you understand your digestive symptoms and improve them. You will be able to create a more trusting and loving relationship with your body and your tummy!
It feels amazing to be in control of how you feel and how you look! It is a great pleasure to wake up feeling energetic and with a flat not bloated stomach.
I hope you can join me for this amazing adventure on improving health and well-being! Check out Happy Sexy Belly program here.
If you have any questions or would like to take the program but can’t afford it right now, email me at email@example.com and I will do my best to make it work for both of us!