A wonderful Vata-friendly one-dish meal.
2 Small or 1 large beet
Small bunch of kale
1 cup buckwheat
Olive oil or ghee
Salt, pepper, oregano
- Roast beets in tin foil in the oven for 40-50 Min. Get the guidelines here
- While beets are roasting, boil buckwheat. Like all grains, buckwheat should be rinsed thoroughly under running water before cooking, and any dirt or debris should be removed. After rinsing, add one part buckwheat to two parts boiling water or broth. After the liquid has returned to a boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper, oregano to taste.
- Add chopped up fresh kale to boiling buckwheat. Dress with ½ tsp ghee or olive oil. When buckwheat is soft and kale is slightly darker, add parsley and basil.
Garlic Parsley Queso Blanco cheese from Patches of Star goat Farm is optional but it really makes the dish. I served it on a piece of sunflower seed bread toasted in the oven but it will go well if added directly to the buckwheat. This dish is a perfect one dish meal or a healthy side.
- The Temporary Vegetarian: Roasted Mushrooms With Goat Cheese and Grits (dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com)
- How to Cook Kale (brighthub.com)
- Beets are Unbeatable (wholefoodsmarket.com)
- Ask Food Network:What is buckwheat? (knoxnews.com)